February 2, 2012

Maine's Bold Coast Trail



The Bold Coast Trail is a 10 mile loop located in Cutler Maine. The trail winds along the Atlantic coast for almost five miles of dramatic cliff-bound hiking. Think Acadia National Park without the crowds! 
From the trailhead located on Rt 191 East of Cutler Maine, the trail goes through a spruce-fir forest and crosses a cedar swamp before dramatically
reaching the ocean high atop a rocky outcropping. Here the views along the rocky coast of Maine are breathtaking.
The trail follows along the coast for almost 4 miles before reaching three primitive campsites near Fairy Head. Privacy is assured as the sites are spaced approximately a quarter mile apart!
This was my second trip to the Bold Coast. This time I stayed at campsite #2 which is located on a bluff high above the ocean. On a clear day you can see Grand Manan Island out across the Bay of Fundy. I would have no such views today as the weather was mostly overcast with rain threatening.
I no sooner set up my tarp and it started to sprinkle. I retreated into my shelter and spent the next hour or so reading. I dozed off for a bit and when I awoke the shower had stopped.

I spent the rest of the afternoon exploring the tidal zone and taking in the dramatic views.



Around 10pm I was awakened by a thunder storm that would dump over an inch of rain. The flashes of lightning followed by the echoing booms of thunder never got closer than a few seconds apart. I figured I was relativity safe. It certainly was entertaining!

The hike out the next morning was beautifully eerie. Fog had set in and the mist off the ocean was thick. I backtracked along the coast for a mile or so before taking the Black Point Cut-off Trail inland and back to my car. 


Looking for more info?


Have you ever hiked the Bold Coast trail? Spent the night at one of it's 3 primitive campsites? Want more info??? Post a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. I assume these sites are first come first serve?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the 3 sites are first come first serve. At the trail head is a campsite list where you can check availability. If the sites are full, Cobscook Bay State Park is close by and makes a great base camp to explore from.

      Delete