February 11, 2012

Happy feet? Backpacking and Hiking Shoes


One of the real joys of Ultralight Backpacking is being able to wear really comfortable hiking shoes!
There is really nothing worse than having your feet hurt when you are still miles away from the trail head.
I've been wearing trail runners for all my hiking, backpacking, and bushwhacking adventures since 2001. At that time conventional wisdom deemed it rather foolish to venture off-pavement with such lightweight shoes... oh have the times changed!
Trail runners are now accepted as a viable option by the outdoor community.

And did I mention they are really comfortable?
I've worn trail runners from several different manufactures and I must say that New Balance  is my favorite! I just bought a pair of 811's. They are light weight, durable, and come in many widths to insure a proper fit. I especially like the synthetic mesh uppers that allow my feet to"breath". Cool feet are happy feet! and less prone to blisters.
Next time you need new footwear give New Balance a look-see. I'm fortunate I live 30 minutes away from their factory store...




More information on Ultralight Backpacking Gear, Tips, and Techniques can be found at Onestep's Ultralight Backpacking Resource  “section hiking the Appalachian Trail with a 10 pound pack”.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting all of the good info! I am looking forward to seeing more.

    Backpacking

    ReplyDelete